Jurickson Profar has been cleared for more baseball activities after an MRI showed improvement on the torn muscle in his right shoulder.
Profar will begin swinging a bat immediately and, if all goes well, will start a throwing program in a week.
Profar, on the 60-day disabled list with a torn teres major muscle, has been sidelined since the season started. He dealt with shoulder tendinitis throughout spring training and injured it further once he got on an accelerated throwing program after he had been cleared to throw.
Because of that, assistant general manager Thad Levine said, the Rangers will likely take a more cautious approach with Profar this time around.
Profar, 21, is eligible to be activated on May 29, but signs point more towards a June return.
“We’ll make sure he’s full-go when he gets back on the field,” Levine said.
Levine went on to provide more injury updates:
• RHP Tanner Scheppers (right elbow inflammation): Will begin a throwing program on Thursday.
• LHP Derek Holland (left knee surgery rehab): He is going through pitchers’ fielding practice and will throw a bullpen Wednesday.
• C Geovany Soto (torn meniscus in right knee): Remains on schedule and should be out of his brace in the next seven-to-10 days.
• RHP Neftali Feliz (general soreness): The former closer who is at Triple A Round Rock is pain-free and “feeling very good.” The Rangers are devising a throwing program for him.
• LHP Joe Saunders (bruised left ankle): Working out in Arizona and is scheduled to throw three innings and 50 pitches in an extended spring training game on Friday.
• LHP Joseph Ortiz (fractured left foot): Has began throwing program in Arizona.
• LHP Pedro Figueroa (left elbow inflammation): Will undergo Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery, as well as surgery on a torn flexor tendon, on Wednesday. It’ll be Figueroa’s second Tommy John surgery and the rehab typically takes 12-18 months.
• OF Engel Beltre (fractured right tibia): Doing core cardio, lower half work and throwing in the field. He’s progressing ahead of schedule.