SURPRISE, Ariz. Matt Harrison and Geovany Soto are headed back to Texas for further evaluations on their injuries.
Harrison, experiencing lower back stiffness months after undergoing a pair of back surgeries on a herniated disk, had an MRI on Thursday and it showed nothing overly concerning. But the Texas Rangers are taking a cautious approach with Harrison, who will fly back Sunday and meet with back specialist Drew Dossett, who performed both surgeries, on Monday.
Harrison sounded in better spirits today after spending the night on the floor.
“[Dossett] still wants to check me out,” Harrison said. “He tried to figure out what might have caused it and it may have been just as simple as something may have moved or shifted a little bit and nicked that nerve because it’s so close together in there.”
Soto, meanwhile, is dealing with inflammation in his left Achilles and will be checked out by Dr. John Crates, who is based in Plano. Soto is flying back today, but said it is simply precautionary.
“We’re not even in March and I want to take care of minor aches and pains,” Soto said. “It’s a little bit of discomfort. I have a little pain back there, but nothing major.”
Soto then smiled and jumped around on his ankles for a few seconds to show he would be playing if it was the regular season.
In other injury news, courtesy of assistant general manager Thad Levine:
• Left-hander Derek Holland plans to walk Saturday with no crutches for the first time since undergoing microfracture surgery on his left knee in January.
• Right-hander Neftali Feliz (shoulder tightness) threw a five-minute live batting practice session Friday. “He was better than last time,” pitching coach Mike Maddux said.
• Second baseman Jurickson Profar (shoulder tendinitis) was cleared to resume swinging the bat. He’s running, swinging and fielding, but is still not cleared to throw.
• Outfielder Alex Rios (sore left big toe) is day-to-day. He is not going to be as extensive in workouts. “When it comes up, it takes a couple of days to go away,” Rios said.
• Right-hander Tanner Scheppers (back spasms) played catch Friday.