Eaton sweeps Grapevine
1. Pitcher's duel: Haslet Eaton (27-8-1) and Richland (25-8) play a one-gamer in the 5A Region I quarterfinals, 7 p.m. Thursday at LD Bell. It could be a lowing-scoring affair as both teams have a tough pitching staff.
Eaton swept Grapevine in the area round. Cade Winquest and Riley Taylor pitched complete games and allowed one run. Jarod Seals would have pitched a Game 3. Seals, who will play at Arkansas-Monticello, could go vs. the Rebels.
In his last game, Seals pitched 5.2 innings, allowed four hits, one unearned run and struck out 14 vs. Denton Ryan.
The Rebels won Game 2 and 3 vs. Denton. Drew Henderson, who's signed to Cameron University, could see the mound on Thursday. Cameron Coffee won both games, allowing one earned run in Game 3 and in relief in Game 2.
2. Top-ranked teams go at it when No. 3 Godley (26-1) and No. 22 Kennedale (24-6-1) meet in a one-game playoff in the 4A Region I quarterfinals, 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Brewer.
Godley's only loss came on April 3. In the playoffs, the Wildcats have allowed two runs in four games.
Texas A&M signee Brett Brown hit two home runs in Game 1 vs. Burkburnett. He went 6 for 8 with seven RBIs in the series.
Kennedale gave up just one earned run during its sweep vs. Vernon. Jared Taylor allowed four hits and struck out six in Game 1. Bryce Hackett allowed four hits and struck out 11 in Game 2.
Godley beat Kennedale 7-0 in March. Godley threw a one-hitter.
3. Can they keep the magic going: Byron Nelson and Crowley both finished fourth in district, but here they are in the third round facing familiar district foes.
Nelson (16-18-1) takes on Southlake Carroll (27-6), 7 p.m. Thursday at home to start their 6A Region I quarterfinal series. Crowley (22-14), which won a play-in game just to clinch a playoff berth, takes on Cleburne (32-1-2), 7 p.m. Thursday at Cleburne in their 5A Region II quarterfinal series.
The Bobcats upset 6-6A champ Allen in the first round then beat South Grand Prairie in area, capped off with an 11-10 victory in 12 innings during Game 3.
The Eagles beat Granbury 1-0 to grab the fourth spot in 9-5A. They knocked off 10-5A champ Mansfield Legacy in three games then won Game 2 and 3 on Saturday to beat Dallas Molina. This included a 2-1 victory in 11 innings during Game 2.
4. Keller Timber Creek (27-8) takes on Odessa (25-9), 7 p.m. Thursday at McMurry University to start their 6A Region I quarterfinal series. The Falcons swept the first two rounds vs. Arlington Martin and El Paso Coronado.
Entering the playoffs, Timber Creek won just one playoff game in program history and never reached the second round.
In both rounds, the Falcons played in extra innings and won via the walk-off. TCU signee Mateo Gil hit the walk-off two-run triple in Game 1 vs. Coronado for an 8-7 win in eight innings. Cesar Paz threw a shutout in Game 2.
5. Three teams are still playing from District 5-6A and 9-5A. Flower Mound Marcus plays Waco Midway and Joshua gets Midlothian.
Marcus (25-10-1) beat Belton in area and clinched a spot in the quarterfinals for the sixth time in 10 years.
The Owls (19-10) shut out Dallas Hillcrest 10-0 and 13-3. Connery Peters had a big Game 1 with a no-hitter and three-run home run. The Athletic Department, which goes back to 1991, has the Owls making the playoffs seven times since 1996, but never to the third round.