It looks like the air has cleared and we no longer have to deal with the dilemma at Southlake Carroll... for awhile.
Now we can turn our attention to the good in sports like the girls basketball state tournament. The UIL tourney begins on Thursday at the Alamodome in San Antonio. TAPPS starts Thursday in Waco with girls and boys brackets.
On the boys side, regional tournaments are Friday and Saturday and state will follow next week.
Soccer teams have begun the second round of district and softball teams started district play on Tuesday.
Three things I think
1. Give me Timberview, Brock and Lake Country Christian. On Saturday, girls basketball teams will win UIL and TAPPS state titles. Three area teams are still playing and will be among the favorites to win it all. Class 5A No. 1 Mansfield Timberview gets started with Kerrville Tivy and it should set up a Timberview vs. Amarillo final. Brock, No. 6 in 3A, is going for a ninth UIL state title and the Eagles accomplish it this weekend. Lake Country, No. 1 in TAPPS 4A, will also win Saturday at West High School.
2. Todd Dodge will return to Southlake Carroll. Dodge is on our list of candidates to take over as the new Dragons football coach in 2018. In case you forgot, he won four state titles with SLC (2002, 2004, 2005, 2006). Dodge just completed his fourth season at Austin Westlake and took the Chaparrals to the Class 6A Division II state semifinals in 2017. It may be a long shot, but I don't think it's impossible.
3. Look for Hal Wasson to coach again. Wasson, who officially cut ties with Carroll on Monday, said that he wanted to coach in 2018. There are a few openings in DFW: Dallas Skyline, FW Paschal, Grand Prairie, North Crowley, North Mesquite, Waxahachie, Crowley, FW Polytechnic, Frisco Heritage, Dallas Roosevelt, Farmersville, Lake Worth, Venus and Bonham. Out of all those options, if Wasson does coach in the fall, it will either be at Waxahachie or Frisco Heritage.
Three things I know
1. Fort Worth Wyatt Chaparrals are making the trip to Snyder for the 5A Region I boys tournament this weekend. It's the program's first regional tourney berth since 2012. Wyatt clinched after beating Wichita Falls Rider 56-42 on Tuesday night. Senior Jimmy Kelly scored a game-high 16 points and hit four 3-pointers.. The Chaparrals play Amarillo on Friday in a semifinal game.
2. North Crowley also returns to the regional tourney in Class 6A Region I. The Panthers beat Arlington Martin on Tuesday 71-58 to clinch a spot at Wilkerson-Greines Activity Center along with Denton Guyer, Allen and Odessa Permian. All four teams are ranked in the top 20 in the state by Texas Association of Basketball Coaches. The Panthers, who play Allen in Friday's semifinals, are in the regional tournament for the first time since 2015, and ninth overall.
3. TAPPS boys state tournament is this weekend too in Waco. Granbury North Central Texas (1A), Arlington Grace Prep (4A), Colleyville Covenant (4A) and FW All Saints (5A) are the area teams still in the hunt for a championship trophy. Granbury NCT has won four-straight state titles. District teams Covenant and Grace Prep play in the semifinals, and All Saints attempts to win its first state title since 2003.