Matt Kent threw seven shutout innings, Nick Banks hit a two-run homer and Texas A&M topped Texas Southern 5-0 in the opening round of the College Station Regional on Friday night.
Kent (8-1) allowed six hits and walked one while tying his career high with nine strikeouts for the Aggies (46-11).
The Aggies will play California, a 9-3 winner over Coastal Carolina, at 6 tonight and TSU (31-18) plays Coastal Carolina at noon.
The Aggies escaped a bases-loaded jam in the sixth when Banks made a sliding catch in right field with two outs, ending a great scoring chance for Texas Southern (31-18).
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Texas A&M added three runs in the eighth, two on a double by Hunter Melton.
▪ Oregon State 5, Texas 4: Kyle Nobach hit a tiebreaking double in the eighth inning, as Oregon State won the Dallas Regional opener at Dallas Baptist. Nobach also singled home a run in the fourth inning to give the Beavers (39-17-1) a 2-1 lead. Texas (30-26) trailed until Brooks Marlow hit a two-run home run in the eighth against starter Andrew Moore to pull the Longhorns into a 4-4 tie. The game was delayed for 1:05 while a helicopter helped to dry the rain-soaked field at Dallas Baptist.
▪ VCU 7, Dallas Baptist 2: Virginia Commonwealth used a five-run fourth inning to power past host Dallas Baptist. VCU faces Oregon State today, while the Patriots (43-14) play Texas in an elimination game. Patriots starter Joseph Shaw (10-4) gave up six runs and six hits in 4 2/3 innings. David Martinelli hit a solo home run for Dallas Baptist.
▪ Oklahoma State 5, St. John’s 4: Tim Arakawa’s RBI single with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth inning lifted Oklahoma State over St. John’s.
▪ Arkansas 8, Oral Roberts 6: Andrew Benintendi, Collegiate Baseball’s player of the year, doubled down the right-field line in the bottom of the sixth inning to give Razorbacks (36-22) the lead over ORU (41-15).
▪ Houston 6, Houston Baptist 4: Corey Julks hit a three-run homer in Houston’s six-run third inning, Andrew Lantrip scattered nine hits in a complete game, and the Cougars came from behind to beat Houston Baptist in the first round. Houston (43-18) advanced to play Louisiana-Lafayette in the winner’s bracket, while Houston Baptist (28-26) will play an elimination game against Rice on Saturday. The Cougars trailed 4-0 before their big third inning. Josh Vidales and Jacob Campbell cut the deficit to 3-2 on RBI singles, and Julks’ homer put the Cougars up for good. Zach Nehrir homered and Matthew McCullough (8-3) allowed six runs and 10 hits in 7 2/3 innings for the Huskies, who are making their first NCAA Tournament after rejoining Division I in 2007.
▪ Louisiana-Lafayette 7, Rice 6: Blake Trahan hit a tiebreaking sacrifice fly to cap a five-run ninth inning in Louisiana-Lafayette’s 7-6 victory over Rice. Trailing 6-2 entering the ninth, Lafayette loaded the bases on three walks and cut it to 6-5 on Evan Powell’s RBI single and Greg Davis’ two-run single. After Nick Thurman reached on a throwing error to load the bases again, Austin Orewiler (5-2) walked Dylan Butler to tie it at 6. Trahan’s sacrifice fly to center gave the Ragin’ Cajuns their first lead.
▪ Coll. of Charleston 7, Auburn 6: Erven Roper hit a two-out homer in the bottom of the 11th inning for the Cougars (44-13), who will play Florida State, a 5-4 winner over Mercer.
Coral Gables Regional
▪ Columbia 6, East Carolina 3: The Lions (32-15) used a five-run sixth inning to beat the Pirates (40-21) and advanced to play Miami, a 6-3 winner over FIU. This was just the second tournament win in Columbia history – the first came in 2013.
▪ Michigan 10, Bradley 5: Kendall Patrick hit two two-run homers and had a career-high five RBIs to lead the Wolverines (38-23). Michigan will play Louisville, a 7-2 winner over over Morehead State.
▪ Illinois 10, Ohio 3: David Kerian hit a three-run homer and Kevin Duchene pitched his first complete game of the season to lead Illinois past Ohio 10-3 in the first round night. Illinois (48-8) will face Notre Dame on Saturday night, while Ohio (36-20) meets Wright State in an elimination game. Notre Dame defeated Wright State 13-7.
Springfield (Mo.) Regional
▪ Iowa 3, Oregon 1: Tyler Peyton limited the Ducks (37-24) to one run in 7 1/3 innings in the first NCAA tournament win for the Hawkeyes (40-16) since the 1972 College World Series. Iowa will play the Missouri State-Canisus winner. Oregon will play the loser.