TCU holds off Baylor in 2 overtimes to avenge painful 2014 loss

In the rain, when it needed to, TCU won the final muddy inch.

Two freshmen, cornerback Julius Lewis and linebacker Ty Summers, crashed in on Baylor running back Devin Chafin to stop him short on fourth down in the second overtime to give the Horned Frogs a 28-21 victory on a long, cold, rainy night at Amon G. Carter Stadium.

The student section rushed the field, and it looked like no measurement ever took place.

It looked like none was required.

The field teemed with purple, filled with shivering, happy fans eager to celebrate the Horned Frogs’ avenging the 61-58 loss from a year ago that caused them such heartache.

“It was more than an average game. I’m pretty sure about that,” TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin said.

Maybe that’s why fans waited four hours in near-freezing rain. The start of the game was delayed 45 minutes by a lightning strike moments before the national anthem.

Boykin scored a touchdown in the first overtime and threw a touchdown pass in the second overtime for the Horned Frogs, who had only 15 first downs and 302 yards from 79 plays, fighting both the stout Baylor defense and the bitter conditions.

“Those were bad elements,” coach Gary Patterson said. “Really proud of Trevone. Probably played at about 75 percent. He’ll be a lot better by bowl time.”

Boykin was just 15-for-30 in regulation but 3-for-3 in the overtimes. He finished 18-for-33 for 148 yards, two touchdowns, two interceptions and was sacked twice.

“It’s always a good thing when you win. That’s what we’re about — winning games,” Boykin said. “Baylor happened to be the next team. They put up a great fight. It was an all-day battle. Games like this are what TCU is built for.”

It gave TCU (10-2, 7-2) a sixth 10-win season in eight years.

“We came so close last week,” Patterson said. “10-2 is an amazing year for these guys for everything that they’ve gone through. It really is.’

Boykin’s 8-yard pass to KaVontae Turpin gave the Horned Frogs a 28-21 lead to open the second overtime possession.

Baylor got the ball for its part of the overtime and faced fourth-and-1 at the 26. One attempt appeared to be stopped short, but Baylor coach Art Briles called timeout just before the snap.

TCU stopped the next try, too. Lewis and Summers, unblocked, crashed in and hit Chafin in the backfield, dumping him short of the line of scrimmage.

Chafin had caught a 4-yard touchdown pass to complete the first Baylor overtime. That made it 21-14.

Boykin’s 1-yard run, after Turpin’s jet-sweep to the pylon, and the extra point tied it 21-21. It was Boykin’s first touchdown since the Oklahoma State game and his ninth of the season.

Derrick Kindred’s fumble recovery gave TCU the ball at its 45 with 4:57 left, its best opportunity of the second half. It was Baylor’s fourth fumble lost, but the Bears survived it by forcing TCU’s 13th punt.

The punt, however, left the ball at the 1-yard line with 2:10 to go. After one first down, Baylor elected to let the game go to overtime. Each team finished regulation with 16 consecutive scoreless possessions, not counting a muffed punt by Baylor.

Baylor had a 335-302 edge in total yards, including the overtimes.

In the rain, trying to play two weeks after an ankle injury, Boykin proved far less effective than normal.

He completed only 15 of 30 passes for 128 yards in regulation, was sacked twice and he had 18 yards on 12 carries.

“Crazy. It was a 12-round fight,” Boykin said. “The game is never easy when you’re playing Baylor. We knew the whole game we had to fight through the weather and the adversity and just play football.”

It was TCU’s 13th consecutive win at home.

Each team closed the first half with seven scoreless possessions, and Baylor gave up a chance another by muffing a punt.

Boykin was intercepted and fumbled. Baylor’s Chris Johnson was also intercepted.

But neither team could turn the takeaways into points.

The rain had a clear effect in the first half. Both quarterbacks lost footing, and receivers on both sides had trouble catching the ball.

Baylor scored on its opening possession, taking advantage of a pass-interference penalty and converting twice on fourth-and-short. Chafin’s run from 1 yard out on fourth down provided the touchdown.

TCU matched it with its own first-possession touchdown, also taking advantage of a pass-interference penalty. Jarrison Stewart, a true freshman from Mesquite Horn, caught a 25-yard touchdown pass, his first of the season, for the 7-7 tie.

Chafin’s 5-yard score gave Baylor a 14-7 lead on its next possession, but the Bears did not score the rest of the half.

Neither did the TCU offense. It took defensive end Josh Carraway’s 56-yard fumble return for a touchdown for the Horned Frogs to tie the game 14-14.

Carraway was part of another turnover later. He stripped the ball from Johnson with Baylor in the red zone in the fourth quarter. That helped him make up for a roughing-the-passer penalty that kept Baylor’s game-opening touchdown drive going.

Carlos Mendez: 817-390-7760, @calexmendez

TCU Running Back Kyle Hicks On Friday's Baylor Win

Related stories from Fort Worth Star Telegram