Nick Banks hit a tiebreaking single with two outs in the top of the 12th inning, and Texas A&M staved off elimination at the NCAA Tournament with a 4-3 victory over California on Sunday night.
The teams will play for the third time in three days tonight, with the winner advancing to the super regionals. California edged the Aggies 2-1 in 14 innings Saturday.
The Aggies (48-12) got the final out Sunday on a play at the plate, when Aaron Knapp tried to score from second after a grounder bounced off first baseman Hunter Melton’s mitt. Melton recovered the ball and threw home, catching Knapp in a rundown.
▪ Texas A&M 8, Coastal Carolina 1: In an earlier game Andrew Vinson allowed five hits in 7 2/3 shutout innings and the Aggies beat the Chanticleers.
Vinson improved to 5-2. Nick Banks and Logan Nottebrok homered for the Aggies.
Coastal Carolina finished the season 39-21.
▪ Arkansas 4, St. John’s 3: Joe Serrano knocked in the go-ahead run with a groundout in the ninth inning and the Razorbacks (39-22) edged the Red Storm (41-17) to win the Stillwater Regional.
The Razorbacks will take on the winner of the Springfield Regional this weekend.
▪ St. John’s 2, Oklahoma State 1: Robert Wayman and Michael Donadio hit back-to-back RBI singles with two outs in the eighth inning to lift the Red Storm over the host Cowboys.
It was the third time in the past four games that Oklahoma State (38-20), the region’s top seed, squandered a lead in the eighth inning to lose.
▪ Dallas Baptist 8, Texas 1: Justin Wall drove in a career-best six runs and Cory Taylor pitched a complete game.
Taylor, pitching in his home ballpark but in front of a mostly pro-Texas crowd, allowed one run on three hits and struck out a season-best nine in his first career complete game.
The Patriots opened the scoring with four runs in the third, capped by a three-run home run by Wall just over the right-field fence.
Dallas Baptist was leading Oregon State 4-1 in the sixth inning late Sunday night.
▪ Virginia Commonwealth 5, Oregon State 1: Heath Dwyer pitched 6 1/3 strong innings and Vimael Machin had three hits and two RBIs to lead Rams past the Beavers.
▪ Rice 3, Houston Baptist 1: Ryan Chandler had two hits and two RBIs to lead the Owls over the Huskies in the completion of a suspended elimination game.
The game was suspended in the top of the fourth inning due to lightning and rain on Saturday.
Houston Baptist (28-27) was eliminated.