Almost 50 years after it was removed to allow a connection between Tarrant County’s classic 1895 Courthouse and what many people eventually referred to as the ugliest building in town, the west entrance to the old courthouse has finally been restored.
And the now-former site of the ugly old Civil Courts Building is a park-like setting.
The new Tom Vandergriff Civil Courts Building opened this summer a few blocks away.
Of course, people didn’t consider the old building ugly when it was built, but that was 1956. A lot of things from that era looked dated before long.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Star-Telegram
Three four-story-tall “Angels of Justice” that adorned the old building were removed and have been installed on the new one. They were well worth saving.
The rebuilt west side courthouse steps and porch were rebuilt using granite from the same quarry where stones for the original building were excavated in 1895.