Editorials

When Fort Worth took flight

The future of Fort Worth Meacham Airport was written before it ever opened.

On July 3, 1925, 90 years ago this month, the City Council approved a lease for a municipal airport on 100 acres north of Fort Worth.

Less than two weeks later, on July 14, the Star-Telegram reported that the then-U.S. Post Office Department was searching for an airport land between Fort Worth and Dallas and “contemplates that one landing field will serve both cities.”

That dream was not completely fulfilled until 1973 and the opening of DFW Airport. But for a quarter-century, from the first passenger flight in 1928 until Amon Carter Field opened in 1953, Meacham was an air travel hub.

In 1932, American Airways relocated part of its division headquarters there, building the legacy that grew into today’s American Airlines.

Even after Carter Field and later DFW Airport opened, Meacham has flourished as one of the nation’s busiest executive airports.

City leaders will throw the airport a free 90th birthday party from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, featuring aircraft displays, food trucks, birthday cake and ice cream.

  Comments