Tens of thousands without power as storms roll through DFW

More storms rolled through the Dallas-Forth Worth area for the third Sunday in a row.

A severe thunderstorm warning was in effect for Tarrant County until 9:45 p.m. Sunday, according to the National Weather Service. Storms began moving into Fort Worth at about 9 p.m. Winds up to 64 mph were measured at the National Weather Service Office in Fort Worth.

Flights were delayed at the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport on Sunday evening. Tens of thousands lost power on Sunday night: about 53,000 in Tarrant County, about 5,500 in Denton County and about 18,000 in Dallas County, according to Oncor’s outage map.

As of 7:20 a.m. Monday, 24,371 customers were still without power in Tarrant County, according to Oncor. There were 3,721 customers in Dallas County and less than 40 in Denton County.

At 10 p.m., the National Weather Service said the storms were moving south of I-20, but pockets of 60 mph winds were still possible in the DFW area. Trees were knocked down in Hurst, Bedford and Euless, including one tree which fell on a home. Emergency management also reported damage to trees, power lines and roofs in Everman.

The Fort Worth Fire Department responded to weather-related calls including downed power lines and transformers, and police responded to multiple car accidents.

A severe thunderstorm watch was in effect until 10 p.m. for some Texas counties, including Tarrant County, and until 4 a.m. for some counties farther east and south. Many areas near and south of I-20 are in a severe thunderstorm watch until 4 a.m., the National Weather Service said.

Thunderstorms hitting the area that started at about 9 p.m. were expected to bring heavy rainfall, straight-line winds and hail, said National Weather Service meteorologist Tom Bradshaw.

Sunday’s storms had the potential to be similar to the last round of storms that hit the Metroplex, Bradshaw said. If rain tracks over the same areas repeatedly, localized flooding is possible, and DFW was expected to see more damaging winds.

Last Sunday, a EF-1 tornado touched down in Arlington, packing wind speeds of 95 mph. A brief EF-0 tornado also struck north Fort Worth around 3 p.m. and video confirmed there was a weak EF-0 tornado over Eagle Mountain Lake.

On June 9, a storm in Dallas caused a construction crane to come crashing down, killing 29-year-old Kiersten Smith and injuring several others.

Related stories from Fort Worth Star Telegram