Motorists may want to avoid Texas 183 — also known as Airport Freeway — this weekend in Euless and Irving.
Contractors working on the massive, $847 million Midtown Express project on Texas 183 are planning to close two lanes at a time in each direction at various locations near the south entrance to Dallas Fort Worth Airport this weekend. As a result, motorists may find themselves crammed into just one working lane, which can cause long delays.
"These closures are necessary for paving operations and main lane traffic pattern changes," project spokeswoman Selma Santin said in an email.
The closures are expected to take place at various times between 9 p.m. Friday and 6 a.m. Monday. The road work is "weather permitting," Santin said — although it is expected to be a mostly hot and dry weekend.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Star-Telegram
For example, on Texas 183 from Main Street to Ector Drive, two lanes at a time will be closed as needed. The closures could be on either the left or right side of the road, depending upon workers' needs at the time — but one lane will remain open at all times, Santin said.
Also, the westbound off-ramp to Main Street will be closed during that time.
Other intermittent closures drivers can expect during the weekend:
▪ Two right lanes will be closed on westbound Texas 183 from the President George Bush Turnpike to Texas 360 in Irving.
▪ Northbound and southbound Texas 161 ramps to westbound Texas 183.
▪ Westbound 183 entrance ramp from County Line Road.
▪ Westbound 183 exit ramp to Amon Carter Boulevard.
▪ Westbound 183 exit ramp to northbound and southbound SH 360.
▪ Westbound 183 exit ramp to DFW Airport (only from 10 p.m. Saturday to 6 a.m. Sunday).
▪ Alternating left or right lane closed on westbound 183 over Loop 12 in Irving.
▪ Southbound Spur 482 to Westbound SH 183.
▪ Westbound SH 183 exit ramp to Carl Road.
▪ Both directions of O’Connor Road under 183.
Portable changeable message boards will be on roadsides to help motorists navigate their way around the mess.
If possible, just avoid the area. If you have to go that way, be ready for long traffic delays.
The 28-mile Midtown Express project includes expanding Texas 183 from Texas 121 in Euless to Interstate 35E in Dallas, and Texas 114 from Texas 183 to the Texas 121/International Parkway intersection (which serves as the north entrance to DFW Airport).
Also, a portion of Loop 12 is being improved from Texas 183 to I-35E.
And, managed toll lanes are being added.
Motorists who need to reach the Midtown Express hotline may call 844-418-3114.