Texas

Lubbock teen electrocuted while using cellphone in bathtub, family says

Madison Coe, 14, right, died early Sunday while taking a bath at her father’s home in New Mexico. Her family said she was electrocuted by her cellphone.
Madison Coe, 14, right, died early Sunday while taking a bath at her father’s home in New Mexico. Her family said she was electrocuted by her cellphone. Screen shot

A Texas teenager was apparently electrocuted while using her cellphone in a bathtub over the weekend, her family said.

Madison Coe, 14, of Lubbock died early Sunday, according to KCBD-TV. She had been staying at her father’s house in Lovington, N.M.

Her family told the TV station that Madison, who was in the tub, was either plugging her cellphone into a charger or grabbing the phone when the incident happened.

Officials have not ruled on her cause of death, but New Mexico police said in a statement that evidence showed “signs consistent with that of electrocution,” the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal reported.

“There was a burn mark on her hand,” Donna O’Guinn, Coe’s grandmother, told KCBD. “The hand that would have grabbed the phone. That was just very obvious that that’s what happened.”

Madison graduated from eighth grade this year at Terra Vista Middle School in the Frenship school district.

Alex Lopez, 12, and Isaiah Lopez, 11, were killed Wednesday evening at Oakland Lake Park in east Fort Worth.

  Comments