The list of prominent Texans under consideration for a Cabinet position under President-elect Donald Trump continues to grow.
Dallas investor Ray Washburne, a prominent Republican fundraiser, is reportedly under consideration to serve as Secretary of the Interior, CNBC says.
Washburne is the head of Charter Holdings, a company that is involved with energy, private equity, finance, restaurants and real estate investments.
It isn’t entirely surprising that Trump is considering Washburne, as he was vice chairman of the Trump Victory Committee during the campaign. Washburne initially oversaw New Jersey governor Chris Christie’s finance team before switching over to Trump.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
#ReadLocal
Washburne also served as the finance chairman for the Republican National Committee before stepping down to work with Christie’s campaign.
His leadership role with Trump’s campaign earlier this year prompted some North Texans to boycott Washburne businesses — particularly the popular Taco Diner and Mi Cocina restaurants — when Trump came to town.
“This is to highlight the hypocrisy of Ray Washburne,” said Carlos Quintanilla, president of the Dallas-based Accion America activist group, said in June. “Donald Trump has attacked our community. He’s running a political campaign based on hate against immigrants. And his chief fundraiser has made a fortune hiring Hispanic workers.”
Former Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who visited Trump Tower on Monday, is one of a number of Texans being mulled for a Cabinet post under Trump.
Fort Worth Star-Telegram staff writer Anna Tinsley contributed to this report
Alex Daugherty: 202-383-6049, @alextdaugherty
Comments