Fort Worth

TCU defensive end Fields tells police he was attacked

TCU defensive end Devonte Fields told police that he was robbed and beaten early Tuesday in a struggle involving gunfire at his off-campus residence, according to a police report.

Fields, 20, reported being attacked about 5:50 a.m. by three robbers outside his residence in the 3200 block of South University Drive.

One had a semiautomatic handgun, and officers later collected five spent .40-caliber shell casings from the front yard.

Fields later told police that he did not want officers to look inside his residence and that “he did not want to press charges,” the report said.

The former standout player at Arlington Martin High School was “examined for injuries by TCU athletic personnel” but was not hospitalized, according to the police report.

Coach Gary Patterson issued a brief statement late Tuesday.

“Devonte Fields is a victim here, and he’s okay,” Patterson said. “He went to class and workouts today.”

Fields indicated to police that the attack was vicious.

He had walked to the back of the house to start his car. One assailant “struck him on top of [his] head” with the pistol and pushed him back inside the house, where two men “proceeded to assault him with fists,” the report stated.

Fields struggled with the men and was “punched in the left cheek area.” The fight moved out of the house and onto the driveway, where the gunman pointed the pistol at Fields and threatened to kill him.

The football player grabbed the man’s right forearm and five shots “were discharged in the air” but no one was hit, the report stated.

The robbers drove off in an older-model black Honda that had been parked on South University Drive, police said.

Fields also reported that a cellphone, ball caps, a pair of tennis shoes and an Xbox video game system were stolen, according to the report.

Fort Worth officers met Fields at TCU police headquarters and planned to go with Fields to the house.

But when they got there, Fields “changed his mind” and stated “he did not want officers/detectives searching his premises, and that he did not want to press charges.”

Thus, the home “was never searched for evidence,” although the five shell casings were placed into evidence, according to the report.

TCU spokeswoman Lisa Albert also emailed a statement late Tuesday.

“The safety of our students is important,” she wrote. “As soon as TCU Police were made aware of the situation, we notified the campus via an emailed crime alert. What happened to this student is unfortunate, and serves as a reminder to all students to be aware of their surroundings.”

In 2012, Fields earned freshman All-America honors and was named the Big 12 defensive freshman of the year. In 2013, he did not play in the season opener against LSU and played only one quarter against Southeastern Louisiana while serving part of a two-game suspension for breaking unspecified team rules last spring, according to earlier reports.

He started in TCU’s third game against Texas Tech but injured his foot. He played briefly against Oklahoma and missed the rest of the season to await surgery.

Staff writer Stefan Stevenson contributed to this report, which includes material from the Star-Telegram archives.