Fort Worth

Suspect in beating death of homeless man arrested at his mother’s home

Jeremy Johnson of North Richland Hills is accused of beating to death a homeless man in Fort Worth.
Jeremy Johnson of North Richland Hills is accused of beating to death a homeless man in Fort Worth.

A 30-year-old North Richland Hills man was in custody Monday, accused in the beating death of a homeless man who was standing near a traffic accident near a restaurant earlier this month.

Authorities arrested Jeremy Johnson Sunday evening at his mother’s home in North Richland Hills.

Johnson faces a murder charge in the killing of 58-year-old Mark Hague, who was punched and kicked in the head.

Hague died on Oct. 8 at John Peter Smith Hospital, just days after the beating.

Hague, who was homeless and a sometime helper at Enchiladas Ole’, had been a fixture on North Sylvania Avenue for years.

mark hague.jpg
Mark Hague, 58, of Fort Worth Courtesy: Family of Mark Hague

Enchiladas Ole’ owner Mary Perez had known Hague for about three years, and said he occasionally cleaned around the restaurant at 901 N. Sylvania Ave.

She said she and her staff tried to give him a little responsibility.

“We just love him,” she said in a phone interview with the Star-Telegram last week.

On the night of Oct. 6, two vehicles collided at North Sylvania Avenue and Dell Street near the restaurant at about 7:30 p.m.

“We all went out to see what had happened,” Perez said. “My stepson and son got there in time to pull a woman out before first responders arrived.”

Hague stood near the accident and then stepped in front of a woman who cursed him, Perez said. Hague cursed back.

Within seconds, a man walked up to Hague and punched him. As he was lying on the ground, the man kicked him in the head and then left, Perez said.

It’s unclear what led to Johnson’s arrest. He was being held in the Tarrant County Jail without bail on Monday.

Domingo Ramirez Jr.: 817-390-7763,@mingoramirezjr.
Related stories from Fort Worth Star Telegram