Fort Worth

Domestic dispute ends in murder-suicide in south Fort Worth

A man who apparently had a history of domestic violence, according to records, killed a woman and then himself in south Fort Worth on Wednesday morning.

Fort Worth police responded to a reported murder-suicide in the 3800 block of Ryan Avenue at 7:41 a.m. Wednesday, according to a police incident report. When they arrived, two people were found dead — one inside a vehicle and another on the street next to the vehicle, said police spokeswoman Tamara Valle.

Investigators found that the man had shot the woman and then himself. The woman was identified by the Tarrant County Medical Examiner as Blanca Vargas, 44. The medical examiner’s website shows that Rodolfo Vargas, 48, died at the same address Monday morning.

Online police and court records show Rodolfo Vargas, 48, was arrested Sept. 15 and accused of assaulting Blanca Vargas.

A complaint says he choked or suffocated her, and was released on $3,500 bond on Oct. 3. One of his bond conditions was that he not contact Blanca Vargas in any way.

Daniel Ojeda, a neighbor at the scene Wednesday morning, said his video surveillance camera captured the murder-suicide.

He said that in the video a woman is sitting in a red SUV parked on the street when a pickup pulls up very slowly next to it, then parks behind it. He said the video shows children in the vicinity while the man talks to the woman in the SUV and an argument ensues.

Ojeda said the video appears to show the man shooting into the SUV and then almost immediately shooting himself.

Tarrant County district court records show that Rodolfo Vargas had a violent past. An ex-girlfriend filed an application for a protective order in 2002. In an affidavit, she accused Rodolfo Vargas of physically and emotionally abusing her — slapping and punching her and telling her she was going to die.

According to the affidavit, the morning after he allegedly hit and threatened her Vargas woke up, saw her bruised face and said, “Poor baby, I feel bad for you because you have no one to defend you from this monster you have here.”

The case was dismissed due to lack of prosecution, records show.

Mark David Smith: 817-390-7808, @MarkSmith_FWST