Affidavit: Rangers pitcher urinated on himself twice during DWI arrest

Rangers relief pitcher Jeremy Jeffress urinated on himself twice and failed to maintain his balance during a field sobriety test before officers arrested him on suspicion of DWI early Friday morning, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

Police also found what they believed to be marijuana in the glove box of Jeffress’ 2009 Mercedes Benz MC5, but the 28-year-old denied it belonged to him.

Jeffress’ blood alcohol content was 0.115, according to the affidavit, which was obtained by WFAA-TV. The legal driving limit is 0.08.

Jeffress, who was traded to the Rangers from the Milwaukee Brewers earlier this month, was booked into the Dallas County Jail at 5:13 a.m. Friday, according to jail records. A Dallas police officer pulled Jeffress over in the 2400 block of Mahon Street, in Uptown, at 2:24 a.m., police said.

He was released from jail on a $500 bond about 11 a.m.

Major League Baseball is investigating Jeffress’ arrest, and the Rangers have placed him on the restricted list, team general manager Jon Daniels said Friday afternoon. The restricted list is used for players who are unavailable to play for non-baseball reasons.

“Because of his actions last night, and because of spending the night in prison and not sleeping, he wasn’t able to get up and get in here and pitch tonight,” Daniels said. “I think it’s very safe to say he was embarrassed and apologetic for what happened.”

Details of the arrest

The affidavit gave this account of the arrest:

The officer had noticed Jeffress driving northwest on Maple Avenue, switching lanes without signaling and cutting off another driver who honked at him.

When the officer pulled Jeffress over, he noticed Jeffress had bloodshot eyes and the smell of alcohol on his breath.

Jeffress told the officer he drank three to four cups of Hennessy cognac and Coke between 12:15 a.m. and 1:15 a.m., and that he was driving a woman to her car from Sisu, a nearby nightclub.

Before the field sobriety test, Jeffress told the officer he had to urinate, but the officer told him to take the test first, according to the affidavit.

Jeffress started the walk-and-turn portion of the test too soon and couldn’t maintain his balance. He also urinated on himself before the one-leg stand portion of the test.

He urinated on himself again before officers searched his car, where they found a bag containing a leafy green substance.

Since both Jeffress and his passenger denied the bag was theirs, police took the bag into evidence and tested Jeffress’ blood for marijuana and synthetic marijuana, according to the affidavit.

Neither Jeffress or the woman face drug possession charges at this time.

100-game suspension in 2009

As a minor leaguer in 2007, Jeffress was suspended 50 games by Major League Baseball for testing positive for marijuana. He received a 100-game suspension in 2009 for testing positive again.

Another positive test could result in a lifetime suspension for Jeffress, according to the MLB drug policy.

Since joining Texas this year, he's pitched nine innings, giving up four runs.

The Rangers have a recent history of giving players second chances, including fellow reliever Matt Bush and outfielder Josh Hamilton.

Bush, a former No. 1 draft pick, was released from prison in Florida on Oct. 30 after serving more than four years for a third arrest on charges of driving under the influence. The arrest came after he nearly killed a man on a motorcycle.

The oft-injured Hamilton, who was released earlier this week by the Rangers, missed three seasons because of alcohol and drug-addiction issues.

Staff writers Rafeal Sears and Jeff Wilson contributed to this article, which contains information from Star-Telegram archives.