Suspect in store robbery fatally shot by Hurst resident

Two robbery suspects were shot, one fatally, near this house in Hurst
Two robbery suspects were shot, one fatally, near this house in Hurst Special to the Star-Telegram

A Hurst resident who confronted a man in his back yard Thursday night was shot and then fired back, fatally wounding the first man and injuring a second man just minutes after a nearby convenience store was robbed, police said Friday.

The wounded men managed to drive to a Euless apartment complex, where they sought help. Someone there called 911, and police officers arrived to find one man dead and another wounded.

Investigators determined that the men in Euless were connected to the shooting in Hurst. And they began to untangle the story, Hurst Assistant Police Chief Richard Winstanley said Friday.

The Hurst resident was on his back porch with a friend when he saw a vehicle park at a dead-end street off the 100 block of Charlene Drive.

A man got out of the car.

“He saw the man walk through a dark open field,” Winstanley said.

The resident went to get a rifle because he had been the victim of thefts and burglaries, police said.

Later, the resident “saw the suspect walking through a dark open field back to a vehicle,” Winstanley said Friday.

“The homeowner said something like, ‘What are you doing?’ and the suspect fired.”

The resident was hit, retreated to his back porch and started shooting, Winstanley said.

The gunfight continued as the wounded man got into a vehicle where a driver was waiting, and they drove out of the neighborhood.

In the meantime, a 911 call was made about 8:15 p.m. about an armed robbery in the 200 block of Norwood Drive.

Detectives learned that a robber walked up to Norwood Quick Stop and pointed a gun at a customer who was standing outside. The robber herded the customer into the store and grabbed money, Winstanley said.

“As he exited, he pointed his gun at two customers and threatened them,” Winstanley said. “He then walked back to the vehicle.”

That’s when the resident saw him again, and the gun fight erupted.

Minutes later, Euless police responded to a call about a gunshot victim in the 3000 block of Sycamore Circle West in Euless.

Patrol officers found the dead man and the wounded driver. And they linked them to the shooting in Hurst.

The driver was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth. After treatment he was released and was in the Hurst Jail on Friday, Winstanley said. He was identified only as a 22-year-old Fort Worth man.

He is a suspect in four holdups in Euless and now faces charges in the Hurst case, Hurst and Euless police said.

By late Friday, authorities had not identified the dead man, saying only that he was a 20-year-old Fort Worth man.

The 39-year-old resident was taken to a hospital by a friend and was released after treatment late Thursday. He could not be reached to comment Friday.

No charges were expected against the resident, but the case will be turned over to the Tarrant County district attorney’s office for consideration, Winstanley said.

Domingo Ramirez Jr.


Twitter: @mingoramirezjr