Ex-Kennedale coach indicted on improper photography charge

A former assistant football coach at Kennedale High School has been indicted on charges that he placed a camera in a faculty restroom to record teachers undressing.

A Tarrant County grand jury returned an indictment against Jason Tomlinson, 30, who had been a star athlete at the school and attended the U.S. Naval Academy.

Jurors indicted Tomlinson late last week on a charge of improper photography/visual recording. If convicted, he faces a maximum of two years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

A teacher found the small thumb drive camera in the Kennedale High School faculty restroom in March, containing videos of seven teachers undressing, according to arrest and search warrant affidavits obtained by the Star-Telegram.

The 3-by-1-inch camera was discovered by a male teacher when it fell from the underside of a sink as he washed his hands, the affidavit states.

School officials notified police, and Tomlinson became a suspect when officers watched a video in which he inadvertently captured images of his face as he placed a camera under a sink, according to the affidavit.

Police found that the camera had been placed under the faculty restroom sink with hook-and-loop tape. They also found tape under a sink in another faculty restroom.

After seizing the camera, police viewed the videos and found that they include male and female teachers using the restroom, exposing their buttocks and genitals. Officers found several folders on the camera labeled with teachers’ names, an affidavit says.

“Each video had been categorized by teacher name and contained rating comments such as ‘fine’ or ‘good,’ ” the affidavit says.

Detectives took Tomlinson into custody at his Mansfield home in March without incident. He was placed on administrative leave immediately after being arrested and is no longer with the district.

Authorities also removed computer equipment from Tomlinson’s home, Kennedale police said.

Tomlinson was a standout athlete at Kennedale High School, where he graduated in 2003, according to the Star-Telegram archives

According to his biography on the Navy Football website,, he attended the U.S. Naval Academy.

His LinkedIn page says he went to work at Kennedale High School in January 2013.

He remained free Monday after posting $5,000 bail shortly after his arrest.