Crime

Watch: Man shot by Dallas police fired at officers in motel room, bodycam video shows

The Dallas Police Department on Friday released body-worn camera video recordings of a man who was shot by officers after he fired at them in a motel room earlier in the week.

Senior Corporal Rene Dominguez and Officer David Cortinas arrived about 10 a.m. Wednesday at the motel in the 9600 block of CF Hawn Freeway because stolen property was thought to be there, police said.

A person had tracked stolen equipment from a business to a room at the motel, according to police.

After Dominguez knocked on the motel room’s front door, 41-year-old Clifford Osmer is seen in the video trying to climb out of a window. Osmer went back into the room and closed the window behind him.

A woman who was in the room opened the door and is heard in the video telling the officers Osmer is there.

Dominguez entered the room and saw a man sitting down on a chair and Osmer standing in the room. Osmer raised a gun and fired at the officers, who withdrew, the recordings show.

After Dominguez reentered the room, Osmer emerged from the bathroom and again fired at the officers, police said.

Both officers fired back. Osmer was taken to a hospital, where his condition is stable, police said.

No witnesses or officers were injured.

Osmer’s gun was recovered at the scene and was stolen, according to police. The stolen property reported in the call was found in the room, and a stolen vehicle was found at another location.

Osmer faces two counts of aggravated assault on a public servant.

The Dallas County Criminal District Attorney’s Office and The Office of Community Police Oversight also responded to the scene. The district attorney’s office will conduct its own investigation.

Osmer was the sixth civilian who Dallas Police Department officers have shot in 2023.

Staff writer Emerson Clarridge contributed to this report.

This story was originally published August 2, 2023 at 12:50 PM.

Emerson Clarridge
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Emerson Clarridge covers crime and other breaking news for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. He works days and reports on law enforcement affairs in Tarrant County. He previously was a reporter at the Omaha World-Herald and the Observer-Dispatch in Utica, New York.
Nicole Lopez
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Nicole Lopez was a breaking news reporter at the Fort Worth Star-Telegram from 2023 to 2024.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER