The Aledo Bearcats and Brock Eagles are used to winning district championships, the Bearcats have done so since 2008 and the Eagles since 2014. However, to keep those streaks going, they will have to win one more game before the postseason gets underway.
Both set themselves up for the showdowns with Saginaw Boswell in 6-5A and Breckenridge in 5-3A Division I, respectively, on the road, with convincing wins Friday. The Bearcats blew out Justin Northwest 48-0 at home as Jase McClellan rushed for 179 yards and five touchdowns on 13 carries, and the Eagles walloped Boyd 59-7 as Tanner Patino rushed for 134 yards and five TD on 10 carries.
Patino (950 yards, 22 TD) is closing in on 1,000 yards for the season.
▪ Elsewhere, the Millsap Bulldogs fell 45-7 to Henrietta. However, the Bulldogs are still alive for the playoffs in District 5-3A Division II. They need a win over Nocona. If they do and Wichita Falls City defeats Henrietta, the Bulldogs are in. If they do and Henrietta wins, it will come down to the district's tie-breaking system.
The Weatherford Kangaroos dropped a 49-24 decision to Keller Fossil Ridge to finish 0-10 for the first time since 1987. Cody Henderson ended his high school career with 203 yards and a pair of touchdowns rushing, giving him 605 yards and eight TD on 72 carries this season.
Next Friday's games
▪ Aledo Bearcats (9-0, 6-0 in District 6-5A) at Saginaw Boswell Pioneers (9-0, 6-0)
7 p.m. Friday
▪ Last season: Aledo 16-0, 7-0 in district, 5A Division II state champions. Boswell 9-5, 5-2, Division II regional finals. Aledo won 49-24 at home in the regular season and 42-14 in the regionals at AT&T Stadium.
▪ Series history: Aledo leads 7-0.
▪ Last week: Aledo 48, Justin Northwest 0. Boswell 44, Saginaw Chisholm Trail 24.
▪ Returning starters: Aledo 3 offense/5 defense. Boswell 6 offense/5 defense.
▪ Players to watch: Aledo - RB Jase McClellan (36 carries, 355 yards, 10 TD) has returned strong after missing six games with a wrist injury. In his two games back he has 219 yards and seven TD. DE Colt Ellison (5 sacks) has almost a third of his team's total of 16 sacks.
Boswell - QB Brayden Thomas (2,338 yards, 30 TD, 4 int.), WR Brandon Chatman (68 catches, 828 yards, 11 TD).
▪ Notable: Who would have thought the way Aledo has dominated its district over the past decade with a state-record 74 straight league victories that the Bearcats would be facing a winner-take-all contest on the road for the 6-5A title. This looks to be Aledo's biggest district test in years. Overall, the Bearcats have won 25 consecutive games....The Pioneers are 14-2 over their past 16 games, with both losses coming to Aledo.
▪ Millsap Bulldogs (4-5, 1-3 in District 5-3A Division II) at Nocona Indians (7-2, 2-2)
7 p.m. Friday
▪ Last season: Millsap 3-7 , 0-5 in district. Nocona 7-4, 3-2, bidistrict. Nocona won 55-18 at Millsap.
▪ Series history: Millsap leads 9-8.
▪ Last week: Holliday 45, Millsap 7. Nocona 45, Henrietta 34.
▪ Returning starters: Millsap 9 offense/8 defense. Nocona 8 offense/9 defense.
▪ Players to watch: Millsap - OL/DL Noble Stevens has developed into one of the best blockers in program history and almost half of his tackles have been for a loss. WR/DB Jace Davis averages over 9 yards per carry and almost 25 yards per catch, has four interceptions on defense.
Nocona - QB Jeremy James averages over 150 yards passing and two TD per game (along with one interception per game), and averages 7 yards on each carry with around 500 rushing yards.
▪ Notable: The Bulldogs began district with playoff hopes and three straight wins. Now, they must pull off an upset and get some help for their first postseason berth since 2009. The Lions are in with a win.
▪ Brock Eagles (8-1, 4-0 in District 4-3A Division I) at Breckenridge Buckaroos (4-5, 4-0)
7:30 p.m. Friday
▪ Last season: Brock 13-1, 5-0, Region I finalist. Breckenridge 5-7, 3-2, area finalist. Brock won 45-0 at home.
▪ Series history: Brock leads 3-0.
▪ Last week: Brock 59, Boyd 7. Breckridge 43, Ponder 7.
▪ Returning starters: Brock 3 offense/5 defense. Breckenridge 6 offense/6 defense.
▪ Players to watch: Brock - LB Zack Young and the defense that has held district opponents to 27 points, C Sage Boleman anchors an offensive line that opens for a rushing attack that averages over 350 yards per game. Breckenridge - RB Zach Willis averages around 100 all-purpose yards per game.
▪ Notable: An early season loss to private school Midland Christian took the Eagles off of a few folks' radar, but they have re-emerged as a state contender and are looking to improve to 20-0 in four seasons of district play. Overall, since becoming University Interscholastic League eligible, Brock is 49-4 with a 2015 state championship...The Buckaroos are no stranger to the playoffs, with this being their eighth straight appearance. However, since going 9-3 in 2010, their record is 38-42.