As promised last week, let's look at a few favorite recipes that are hot, which really makes us feel so much better when it's COLD outside.
Am I the only gardener who gets excited when the seed catalogues start arriving in the mail? Two of these just arrived and they are so beautiful. I can't wait to order, followed by spring planting! The Burpee catalog can be ordered by calling 1(800)888-1447 or log onto: http://www.bur1(800)888-1447 or log onto: http://www.burpee.com/ On the back of it, is the most gorgeous Cupcake hybrid summer squash which they showed stuffed. I'm going to check this one out for sure! The 2015 Totally Tomatoes catalog arrived and there are more seeds than just tomatoes. The new Sweet Sunset banana pepper is vigorous and sets loads of fruit. The peppers are colorful, looking like the colors of the sunset. This one is available by phone:(800)345-5977; or log on to: www.totallytomato.com
Slow Cooker Stew Meat with Gravy
Is there any recipe easier than this one?
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Star-Telegram
▪ 2 pounds stew meat
▪ 1 package onion soup
▪ 1 can golden mushroom soup (We like low sodium.)
▪ 1 can water-prefer bottled or filtered
1. Mix all ingredients together in a slow cooker and cook 6-10 hours.
2. Start first hour on High, then reduce to Low for remaining time.
We like this served over rice, noodles, or for a real treat, mashed potatoes.
The Mikester's Sweet and Sour Chicken
Remember how I shared that Mike likes Russian dressing and apricot preserves? Now, he can savor both flavors with his own chicken recipe.
▪ 4 boneless and skinned chicken breasts
▪ 1 medium jar of Russian salad dressing
▪ 1 small jar apricot preserves
1. Mix the Russian dressing and preserves together and cover chicken.
2. Cook in a covered dish at 350 degrees for 1 hour; uncover and bake until the chicken is browned.
Thompson's Chili Relleno Supreme
▪ 28 ounces-Old El Paso whole green chilies-seeds and fibers removed
▪ 2 pounds Tillamook cheese-mild: grated
▪ 8 eggs
▪ 8 Tablespoons flour
▪ 8 Tablespoons water
1. Grease a 13 x 9 (OR 15 x 9) casserole dish.
2. Place a layer of chilies flat, then a layer of grated cheese and repeat until it is about 2 inches thick.
3. Mix eggs, flour and water with electric beater, or egg beater. Strain if lumpy.
4. Pour over cheese and peppers.
5. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees, uncovered. A knife inserted into center should come out clean.
We like this with a green salad.
This serves 8.
Next week we'll look at some more hearty and hot recipes. Meanwhile, let's stay warm and keep our pets safe and happy, as well as sheltered. And, as I preach to ALL my family, "WASH THOSE HANDS” when you enter my kitchen, so you don't spread germs and we all get sick! Have a great week in Parker County.