What I like about being snowed - or iced - in is that friends call and e-mail, which has been fun. It's been interesting for sure but I have accomplished a lot and there's been a great deal of cooking going on at the Thompson household. Today, I am cooking a big turkey and I keep my fingers crossed we keep electricity going, although we seldom lose that, thank goodness.
Thank you to Janie Fox, a friend and a wonderful cook, who sent me a recipe that everyone is raving about: "Apricot Upside Down Cake." Janie finds the canned apricot pie filling at Brookshire's. I found it there at Brookshire's in Willow Park.
I like fried chicken and made an easy recipe that bakes chicken, not fries; I think it's very tender and good. Then we discovered a pasta dish that is excellent when paired with a big healthy green salad.
Janie's Apricot Upside Down Cake
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ 1 can apricot pie filling (located it at Brookshire's)
▪ 1 white cake mix
▪ 1/2 cup chopped pecans
▪ 1 egg
▪ 1/2 cup coconut
▪ 1 stick butter, (1/2 cup)- melted
▪ 1/3 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spread pie filling in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
3. Combine cake mix, 1/3 cup water, and egg. Beat 4 minutes with electric mixer.
4. *Pour over pie filling that is in the baking dish. Sprinkle with coconut and pecans. Drizzle butter on top.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
The flour mixture is very thick, and Janie didn't beat it that long. She spooned the batter in, as it will not pour.
Thank you Janie!
Dee Dee's Lazy Fried Chicken
▪ 1 stick butter (or 1/2 cup)
▪ 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
▪ 1 large chicken-cut up
▪ 2 cups cornflake crumbs
▪ 1 teaspoon garlic salt
▪ 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt the butter in large saucepan.
3. Add the lemon juice and dip the chicken pieces in the mixture.
4. Combine dry ingredients on a large plate and roll the chicken pieces in the mixture.
5. Place the chicken on a buttered cookie sheet and bake for 1 hour.
This serves 6-8.
Chicken Pasta Salad
▪ 1 1/2 pounds cooked boneless chicken breasts-diced
▪ 1 pound box rotini pasta-cooked per directions, then drained
▪ 1 medium sized bottle Kraft Zesty Italian dressing
▪ 2 large tomatoes-diced
▪ 1 large cucumber-diced
▪ 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese-grated
▪ 1/4 cup onion-finely diced (I have also substituted this with green onions, finely diced, but I make it 1/2 cup.)
1. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Refrigerate until cool.
I can't wait to see the thawing of the ice and snow so I can check on the daylilies and the pansies. We sent in our seed order to Burpee seed catalog, which is a good thing to take care of when we are stuck inside! We ordered okra, zinnias and sunflowers. Who is ready for spring?
Have another good week in Parker County, but stay safe on icy roads. Stay home if you can.