Weatherford Living

Harmony Cemetery recognized as an Historic Texas Cemetery

Pictured l. to r. are Kent and Quinalynn Morgan, Leon Hitner, Cliff Baggett, and Jo Ann Barnhart who gathered at Harmony Cemetery to celebrate receipt of the Historic Texas Cemetery Designation from the Texas Historical Commission.
Pictured l. to r. are Kent and Quinalynn Morgan, Leon Hitner, Cliff Baggett, and Jo Ann Barnhart who gathered at Harmony Cemetery to celebrate receipt of the Historic Texas Cemetery Designation from the Texas Historical Commission. Photo courtesy

HARMONY, TX – The Texas Historical Commission (THC) has designated the Harmony Cemetery as an Historic Texas Cemetery. The designation conveys legal distinction for the cemetery in Parker County records. The designation is reserved for cemeteries that are at least 50 years old.

The oldest recorded burial at the Harmony Cemetery is that of Mary Green who died at the age of 67 on January 30, 1869. Her husband, Matthew Green, had been killed in Paris, TX in 1866, after which time Mrs. Green moved in with her son and daughter-in-law, Rufus and Mary A. Green near the little community of Harmony.

A few months following his mother’s death in 1869, Rufus Green purchased the 320-acres of land on which the cemetery sits from M. D. Bullion. Mr. Green sold the land to Johnathan and Clarissa Debusk in early 1877, and 9 months later, the Debusk’s gave the 4 acres of land to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The Church gave the 4 acres of land to the Abandoned Cemetery Association in 2011.

The deed transferring ownership to the Church stipulated that the grounds were to be used for a parsonage, church, school, and graveyard. However, no buildings were constructed at the site. Both a Baptist church and Methodist Episcopal Church, South were built nearby in 1887 and 1889, respectively, as was a school, apparently taking advantage of existing roadways.

Despite Mr. Green’s efforts on behalf of the cemetery, his death certificate is almost comical in that it incorrect states his sex, marital status, and age, and does not include his date of death, date of burial, nor particulars about his parents. At least the undertaker noted he was buried at Harmony Cemetery.

Sadly, he has no tombstone. However, his obituary in the Weekly Herald, a former Weatherford newspaper, states he died December 6, 1913 at 80 years of age, and was buried next to his wife.

The cemetery has served as a burial ground for families of the close-knit Harmony Community for 109 years, the last burial occurring in 1978. Members of the Adams, Briscoe, Cannon, Green, Harrington, Kincaid, Long, and Walker families who were active in the Harmony Community area in the mid-to-late 1800 to mid-1900’s are buried at Harmony Cemetery.

Any individual or organization is eligible to submit an application for a Texas Historic Cemetery designation which is now necessary before a Texas Historical Marker request can be submitted. To find out more about historic cemetery preservation, visit the THC’s website at www.thc.state.tx.us.

The Abandoned Cemetery Association has cared for the cemetery for a number of years in addition to over 70 other abandoned cemeteries in Parker County. You can help maintain these cemeteries. Please send your tax-deductible donations to: The Abandoned Cemetery Association, PO Box 61, Weatherford, TX 76086. Your help is greatly appreciated.

  Comments