Northeast Tarrant

Keller High graduate died from Ecstasy overdose

Jessica Mary Hunter, 21, died Oct. 8, 2014 after taking Ecstasy at an Austin concert.
Jessica Mary Hunter, 21, died Oct. 8, 2014 after taking Ecstasy at an Austin concert. Alan and Debbie Hunter

The official cause of death for a Keller High School graduate who died after taking Ecstasy with her friends at the Austin City Limits Music Festival this past fall was MDMA toxicity, according to the Travis County medical examiner report.

Jessica Mary Hunter, 21, died on Oct. 8, three days after she took the drug with her friends at the music festival.

Hunter’s parents had helped her set up her new apartment near Texas State University in San Marcos a week before she died. She was a marketing major and member of the “Bobcat Ice Babes,” a student organization that supports and markets the school’s hockey team.

The two drugs that were found in Hunter’s system when she was admitted to the hospital Oct. 5, 2014 are methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), according to the report that was completed in December.

MDMA, also known as Ecstasy or Molly, is a drug that acts as a stimulant and psychedelic. THC is the chemical responsible for the psychological effects of marijuana.

Her death sparked her parents’ interest in speaking out against Ecstasy, a popular club and party drug since the 1980s.

No other drugs were found in Hunter’s system, according to the medical examiner’s office.

Monica S. Nagy, 817-390-7792

Twitter:@MonicaNagyFWST

  Comments