Northeast Tarrant

Westlake fire station blaze started near stove

Firefighters cooking at Westlake’s lone fire station on New Year’s Eve left on a call and came back to find the station on fire, said Fire Chief Richard Whitten.

“We know [the fire] started around the kitchen stove,” said Westlake Fire Chief Richard Whitten. “We don’t know exactly what started it. It is undetermined. but it appears to be accidental.”

The fire has displaced the firefighters to Southlake for about a month.

The fire was reported about 7 p.m. in the 2900 block of West Dove Road. The town’s fire truck and bay area were not damaged, but there was significant damage to the station’s residential area, Whitten said.

The burners of the stove had been turned off, Whitten said, speculating that maybe a towel or hot pad ended up too close to the burners.

The investigation, performed by the Westlake and Southlake fire marshals, determined that the fire was accidental, he said.

Fire departments from Keller, Southlake, Roanoke and Trophy Club responded to help put out the fire, which took about two hours, Whitten said.

Westlake has about 700 residents and is the former home of the Jonas Brothers. Hank Haney, Tiger’s Woods’ former golf instructor, also bought a Westlake home in the Vaquero development that was featured on a Golf Channel television show.

Gordon Dickson, 817-390-7796

Twitter: @gdickson

Caty Hirst, 817-390-7984

Twitter: @catyhirst

  Comments