Northeast Tarrant

Girl, 17, witnesses fatal Hurst officer-involved shooting

Jimmy Schlosser was at a Wal-Mart on Monday night when he got a call he couldn’t quite make out from his granddaughter, who was staying at his home.

“She was talking too fast for this old man, so I gave the phone to my wife,” said Schlosser, 80. “And my wife said, ‘What?’

“She told us that when we came home, we’d have to park down the street, because the police had everything blocked off.” Schlosser soon found out why.

About an hour earlier, a Hurst police officer fatally shot 51-year-old James Dunaway in Schlosser's back yard, where a foot pursuit stemming from a domestic disturbance call ended.

Schlosser’s granddaughter, 17, watched the scene unfold.

The teenager was sitting on Schlosser’s patio, she told him, when Dunaway hopped over the back fence. He was soon trailed by a Hurst officer. The teen told him that Dunaway “held something black in his hand.”

When the officer told him to drop it, he didn't, said the girl, whom Schlosser declined to identify. The officer then fired.

“It happened about 25 feet from where she was standing,” Schlosser said. “He fell on the ground, and she could hear him groaning.”

Schlosser's account from his granddaughter matches the general report Hurst police gave Monday night.

Officers were originally dispatched to The Arts at Park Place in the 1300 block of Park Place Boulevard, on a domestic disturbance call. They found that Dunaway, the subject of the complaint, had left, Hurst Assistant Police Chief Steve Niekamp said.

Police began searching the neighborhood, and someone spotted the man in the 1300 block of Redbud Drive a few blocks away, Niekamp said.

He said that according to the officer, who hasn’t been identified, Dunaway had a handgun and the officer fired. Niekamp said Tuesday that he did not know whether the man pointed his gun at the officer.

After the officer shot Dunaway, he started first aid, and when Dunaway stopped breathing, the officer started CPR, which he performed until paramedics arrived, Niekamp said.

Dunaway was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth, where he was pronounced dead at 7:07 p.m.

By the time Schlosser pulled onto the street, his home was cordoned off as a crime scene. He parked in a neighbor’s driveway and was allowed home around midnight.

His granddaughter, who went inside after the shooting, stayed safe, but she was “shook up,” Schlosser said.

“She was as white as a sheet,” he said. “It just drug her down real quick.”

The incident is the latest officer-involved fatal shooting in Tarrant County.

Last week, a Fort Worth officer was no-billed by a Tarrant County grand jury for fatally shooting a 27-year-old man in January. In August, an Arlington officer was fired after he fatally shot 19-year-old Christian Taylor at a car dealership.

A Grapevine officer was not charged after he fatally shot an unarmed Mexican resident in Euless in February.

The Hurst department is currently testing a body camera for its officers, but the officer involved in Monday’s shooting did not have one, Niekamp said. The officer will be given a chance to talk to an attorney and allowed a “few days” before he makes a statement.

Staff writer Monica S. Nagy contributed to this report.

Ryan Osborne, 817-390-7684

Twitter: @RyanOsborneFWST

Related stories from Fort Worth Star Telegram