Keller’s next superintendent
Rick Westfall, deputy superintendent of Grapevine-Colleyville schools, was approved as Keller’s next superintendent by a unanimous vote at a special meeting of trustees May 31 after a state-mandated 21-day waiting period following being named the lone finalist. Westfall will work as superintendent-elect beginning July 1 and officially take over as superintendent Aug. 1 after the retirement of current Superintendent Randy Reid.
Westfall has led the instructional division of Grapevine-Colleyville schools since 2011. He served as Keller High School principal from 2008 to 2011 and principal of Carroll High School for four years prior to his time at Keller High. He started his career in education as a math teacher in a Fort Worth district school.
Summer reading at schools
Students who were enrolled in a Keller district school during the 2016-17 school year may check books out at any of eight libraries the district has open this summer.
Librarians will be on site for assistance, but a parent must accompany children. Students may even check out books at one campus and return them to a different campus if unable to return to the place of checkout during the times they are open.
The summer library schedule will be held June 12-30 and July 10-31 at the following locations:
- Mondays, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at Liberty Elementary, 1101 W McDonwell School Rd.
- Tuesdays, 10 a.m.-12 p.m. and 5-7 p.m. at the Early Learning Center North, 10310 Old Denton Rd.
- Tuesdays, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at Trinity Meadows Intermediate, 3500 Keller Hicks Rd.
- Wednesdays, 10 a.m.-12 p.m. and 2-4 p.m. at Chisholm Trail Intermediate, 3901 Summerfields Blvd.
- Wednesdays, 1-5 p.m. at Sunset Valley Elementary, 2032 Canchim St.
- Wednesdays, 10 a.m.- 2 p.m. at Woodland Springs Elementary, 12120 Woodland Springs Dr.
- Thursdays, 10 a.m.-12 p.m. and 5-7 p.m. at Lone Star Elementary, 4647 Shiver Rd.
- Thursdays, 10 a.m.-12 p.m. and 2-4 p.m. at Parkwood Hill Intermediate, 8201 Parkwood Hill Blvd.
All libraries will be closed the week of July 3-7, when Keller ISD offices are closed.