A major reorganization of the Mansfield Volunteer Fire Department occurred in the fall of 1947 after a fire than nearly destroyed the west side of town. The fire began at the Farmers Lumber Company and spread to the Gibson grocery store, causing heavy damage. Several other structures sustained smoke and water damage. The department was organized with a new chief (Raymond “Bulldog” Miller) and new equipment added including the city’s first factory-built fire truck.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.