The Mansfield Volunteer Fire Department was organized in 1901 with 15 men. The only water protection for the fire department to use was a two-inch water main that ran from the mill down Main Street. J. Grow served as chief of the department for 15 years. The city’s first fire station was built in 1903 on the back lot of the chief’s lumber yard. It housed the department’s very limited equipment: several hundred feet of hose, a hose cart and a wagon.