The town prides itself on being “A Great Place to Call Home.”
And this year, it’s also a great place to celebrate.
All year long, the town is celebrating 30 years of incorporation.
To launch the year-long festivities, a Founder’s Day Reception was thrown Jan. 17 at Trophy Club Country Club. To celebrate the milestone, the town appointed citizens to an anniversary committee, which is creating events for the community to celebrate the town’s birthday throughout the year.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Star-Telegram
About 240 guests enjoyed historical vignettes, food, drinks, visiting with neighbors and a ceremony with several dignitaries. They included current and past mayors, town council members and Trophy Municipal Utilities District 1 directors, Denton County Commissioner Andy Eads, State Rep. Tan Parker, Northwest school district superintendent Karen Rue and Detroit Tigers outfielder Tyler Collins.
“Trophy Club has a wonderful history that has allowed our citizens to enjoy quality of life that has been designed by its founders and protected by all elected officials from its inception,” Trophy Club Mayor Nick Sanders said.
A highlight was a presentation about the city’s history and mingling with representatives current and former who had a hand in shaping the community.
The evening also featured students who participated in an anniversary art contest. Students were asked to submit entries depicting a special place, location or original drawing that represented what Trophy Club meant to them.
The town’s history dates back to 1847 when Charles and Matilda Medlin, along with about 20 other families, left Missouri by wagon train to settle along Elizabeth Creek in Elizabethtown — land near Texas Motor Speedway.
The Medlins were part of Peters Colony that settled in Texas with plans to acquire large tracts of land. Flooding issues around Elizabeth Creek pushed the families to move to higher ground, which became the area of present day Trophy Club.
Charles and Matilda Medlin left a lasting impact on present day Trophy Club with the Medlin Cemetery, the burial site for the their daughter, Mittie Ann Medlin, who died at age 21. The cemetery provides much of the history about the early settlers who resided in the area from inscriptions that were etched on the tombstones.
The vision for the Medlin Barn came from Charles and Matilda’s eldest son James Wilson Medlin. The Medlin Barn incorporated Pennsylvania Dutch architecture.
The 15,000-square-foot barn was built in the early 1870s and had three stories. On the first floor there were 24 horse stalls, the second held rooms for grain storage and the third floor was big enough for hay rolls.
Texas historical accounts purport that notorious train robber Sam Bass stole a horse from the barn in 1878, after his horse grew too tired to continue. It was rumored that notorious bank robbers Bonnie and Clyde stayed in the barn around the time of an Easter Day shootout in 1934. The Medlin Barn was dismantled after years of weathering led to the barn being deemed structurally unsafe.
A website and Facebook page — @CelebrateTrophyClub — have been created to keep residents up to date on the yearlong celebration activities. It includes information about future events and blogs and information about the history of the town. Residents can submit blog entries and photos.