Fort Worth

Trevone Boykin, former TCU star quarterback, is indicted on aggravated assault charge

TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin has been indicted in Tarrant County on a charge of aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury.
TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin has been indicted in Tarrant County on a charge of aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury. Star-Telegram

Former TCU star quarterback Trevone Boykin was indicted Friday in Tarrant County on a charge of aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury.

The former Horned Frog and Seattle Seahawks quarterback was arrested at his Mansfield home on March 21. Boykin, 24, was released from the Tarrant County Jail on a bond of $25,000 the next night.

Aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury is a second-degree felony punishable by two to 20 years in prison.

Shabrika Bailey, Boykin’s girlfriend, provided a statement to police about the alleged assault.

Boykin allegedly broke Bailey’s jaw, which was swollen and wired shut after the alleged assault. The Seattle Seahawks cut Boykin after the allegations surfaced.

On March 21, Mansfield police officers were called by Parkland Hospital staff in Dallas, according to a news release from the Mansfield Police Department. Officers responded to an alleged assault which was said to have occurred in Mansfield, the release said. Officers met with the victim who provided a statement about an assault that occurred in the 2300 block of Richmond Circle in Mansfield, the release said.

An official with the Tarrant County district attorney’s office declined to comment on the case but did confirm that Boykin had been indicted.

Boykin’s attorney did not immediately return a call requesting comment.

Mansfield police detectives were also able to obtain video from Boykin’s residence said to have images of the assault, according to a report.

Mansfield officers executed a search warrant and reviewed video footage of what appeared to be an assault that occurred inside the residence, the report said.

Boykin has denied the assault allegations.

Tweets appeared on Boykin’s feed in July that were attempting to attract buyers to pieces in his jewelry collection.

Boykin has had scrapes with law enforcement before.

At the end of his senior season at TCU, Boykin was arrested in San Antonio after he allegedly punched a police officer in a bar fight on Dec. 31, 2015, two days before TCU was to play in the 2016 Alamo Bowl.

He pleaded no contest to a charge of resisting arrest in June 2016 and received one year of deferred adjudication probation.

Boykin was also arrested in March 2017 after an incident in which he was a passenger in a car that hit the Sidebar Bar in Dallas and also hit seven people on a sidewalk.

He was arrested on suspicion of possession of marijuana and public intoxication, according to Dallas County Jail records.

Boykin ended his career at TCU as the holder of several Horned Frogs records: career passing yards (10,728), completions (830) and pass attempts (1,356), as well as the single-season record for passing yards (3,901).

This story is developing and will be updated. It includes material from Star-Telegram archives

Deanna Boyd contributed to this report.
Mitch Mitchell: 817-390-7752, @mitchmitchel3

TCU head coach Gary Patterson said his wife, Kelsey Patterson, isn't happy about Trevone Boykin's latest legal trouble.

Trevone Boykin was released from the San Antonio Detention Center on $5,000 bail in December. He was charged with assault on a public servant, public intoxication and resisting arrest. He pleaded no contest to a lesser charge. (Video by Travis L

Related stories from Fort Worth Star Telegram