Fort Worth

Willie, a Fort Worth arson detection dog, found in back yard hours after Facebook post

Willie, a Fort Worth fire department arson detection dog, went missing Monday night.
Willie, a Fort Worth fire department arson detection dog, went missing Monday night. Fort Worth Fire Department

Willie, a two-and-a-half year-old yellow Lab and an arson detection dog for the Fort Worth fire department, got loose from his handler at about 8 p.m. Monday night, said fire department spokesman Mike Drivdahl.

Less than three hours after the fire department reached out on Facebook for the public’s help, Willie was found in a back yard, according to Fort Worth police.

“We’re still trying to figure out exactly what happened” in Willie’s escape, Drivdahl said. Arson detection dogs live with their handlers, he said.

The dog was lost near near North Crowley High School, the fire department said. He was missing until shortly after 9:30 a.m. Tuesday and was found about a mile and a half away from home, Drivdahl said.

Drivdahl said the department had people looking for Willie all night.

Willie is one of three dogs employed by the department to sniff out accelerant and explosive substances like gasoline and charcoal in arson investigations.

“They’re trained to pick up on those scents, and since their sense of smell is so fantastic, they do a pretty good job,” Drivdahl said.

Willie has only been on the force for a few months, Drivdahl said.

“He’s a rookie,” he said, adding that Willie hasn’t gotten in on an investigation yet. He said he didn’t know what it cost to train an arson detection dog.

Stephen English: 817-390-7330, @sbenglish74

The Fort Worth Fire Department had their arson team investigating a abandoned vehicle found burning around 1 p.m. on Sunday at the intersection of Covey Drive and Harmon Road.

Just when you thought the lip sync challenge videos were going away, the Paris Fire Department in North Texas came through like a 'Wrecking Ball,' --literally--and turned up the heat with shirtless firemen swinging from steel chains.

Breakfast customers at the IHOP on Quebec Street at Loop 820 had to eat, then run, as fire tore through the roof of the restaurant shortly after 7 am Thursday. No injuries were reported, and the cause is still being investigated.