Fort Worth

Officials identify gunman killed by Fort Worth police

Reginald McGregor, 31, of Arlington
Reginald McGregor, 31, of Arlington Courtesy

A gunman shot to death by patrol officers on a city street Wednesday morning has been identified as Reginald McGregor, a man with a criminal history, according to officials and court documents.

McGregor, 31, died on N. Retta St. from multiple gunshot wounds, according to the Tarrant County medical examiner’s office website Thursday.

Police and witnesses said McGregor opened fire on the officers when they arrived on the scene of an altercation.

“I don’t know who he was,” said Samuel Maceyra who lives in the home where the initial fight took place between McGregor and Maceyra’s nephew.

Maceyra said the house is split into two separate living areas and his nephew lived on one side.

“My wife woke me when she heard the fight,” he said.

Maceyra said he was calling 911 when McGregor and his nephew broke through a door that separated the two living areas as they were fighting.

“My nephew yelled,’He’s trying to kill me’,” Maceyra said Thursday in a telephone interview.

Police said Maceyra’s nephew told detectives that he had discovered McGregor in the home.

But Maceyra said he believes McGregor had used a woman to seduce his nephew in order to rob him.

“When they fighting on our side of the house, I saw this woman with two guns, one in her blouse and she had the other in her hand,” Maceyra said. “I got out of the house and I heard a gunshot. My nephew then came out.”

The nephew was shot in the hand.

McGregor left through a back door, circled to the front and fired multiple times at Maceyra’s nephew.

The officers, who also were not identified, arrived at the scene, got out of their patrol car and were fired upon, police said. McGregor was fatally wounded when the officers returned fire, police said.

The officers wore body cameras and didn’t have a chance to turn them on, police said. But a dash cam video in the patrol car captured the shooting, police said.

Initially, police said a gun battle took place, but later reported they were still investigating that aspect.

Maceyra said that his nephew didn’t have a weapon nor did anyone else in the home. In all, nine people who live in the two homes were present, but no others were injured.

The patrol officers who shot the suspect administered medical aid, but McGregor died at the scene.

His criminal record shows that since 2013 McGregor was sentenced to prison and arrested in several drug possession cases. He also had arrests in fraud, burglary and theft in Grand Prairie and Arlington, according to Texas Department of Public Safety records.

“I’m worried about retaliation,” Maceyra said. “I haven’t talked to my nephew since it happened because I’m still upset.”

The two officers, both commissioned in June 2011, were placed on paid administrative leave, police said. They were not injured.

Internal and criminal investigations are underway.

Domingo Ramirez Jr., 817-390-7763

Twitter: @mingoramirezjr

Related stories from Fort Worth Star Telegram