Here’s a little history about the unincorporated town, which had a population of 362 in 2000, according to the the Handbook of Texas.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The community is located in northern Wilson County at the junction of U.S. 287 and Farm Road 539. The town became part of the Floresville school district in 1954, according to the Texas State Historical Association.
In 1989, Sutherland Springs had one store and a post office.
Sutherland Springs was a popular tourist destination in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
The 52-room Hotel Sutherland, known as the “Saratoga of the South,” attracted visitors from all over the country and had modern amenities for its time including toilets, running water and its own generator in 1910.
Sunday’s shooting, which has left at least 24 dead and 27 injured according to the latest report on CNN, occurred at the First Baptist Church in town.
The total casualties (at least 50) make up almost 15 percent of Sutherland Springs’ population.
The shooter was killed after a brief chase into neighboring Guadalupe County, according to multiple reports.