Fort Worth

Fort Worth elementary school evacuated; no dangerous fumes found

A north side elementary school was evacuated for a short time Friday afternoon, and about 10 students and teachers reported feeling ill, authorities said.

Four adults were taken to a hospital for observation; the students and the other teachers were treated at the scene at Diamond Hill Elementary, 2000 Dewey St., school district spokesman Clint Bond said in a news release.

Earlier in the day, a teacher felt ill and left the campus to see a doctor. She was told her symptoms could be signs of carbon monoxide exposure, Bond said.

When she reported that to school officials, they decided to evacuate the building and called firefighters to check for fumes.

“The first firefighters on the scene did not detect any carbon monoxide,” said fire Lt. Kyle Falkner on Friday.

During the process, other teachers and students reported feeling ill, Bond said.

Firefighters then turned their attention to fumes from a construction site where workers were using a gasoline-powered cutting tool.

Workers have stopped using the tool, Bond said.

Domingo Ramirez Jr., 817-390-7763

Twitter: @mingoramirezjr

  Comments