Fort Worth

Severe storms possible late Saturday but Sunday could be a washout

Sirens and storms strike overnight in downtown Fort Worth

Severe thunderstorms blew through downtown Fort Worth early Wednesday, and tornado warning sirens could be heard as the skyline was bright with lightning.
Up Next
Severe thunderstorms blew through downtown Fort Worth early Wednesday, and tornado warning sirens could be heard as the skyline was bright with lightning.

Get ready for Round 3.

Another line of storms is expected to roll through North Texas on Saturday and Sunday.

There will once again be a threat of damaging winds and hail, but forecasters also say that the Dallas-Fort Worth area could get more than 2 inches of rainfall by the end of the weekend.

“It looks a little different than what we saw earlier this week,” said National Weather Service meteorologist Jason Godwin. “Instead of real strong thunderstorms with widespread wind damage, it’s looking like a lot more rain.”

Some isolated areas could see 3 inches or more and flash flooding is possible.

Scattered storms are expected to fire up west of Fort Worth Saturday afternoon. There’s a 40 percent chance of thunderstorms Saturday afternoon, 60 percent Saturday night and 70 percent on Sunday.

“The severe threat looks like DFW to the west on Saturday and from DFW to the southeast on Sunday,” Godwin said. “But the DFW area should see a lot of rain on Sunday.”

The Storm Prediction Center has North Texas listed as a marginal risk, the lowest category, for severe storms on Saturday and a slight risk, the second-lowest category on Sunday.

The rain is expected to be much heavier southeast of the Metroplex toward Houston. The West Gulf River Forecast Center is warning of possible river flooding in East Texas on Sunday and Monday.

On Thursday, a survey team with the National Weather Service confirmed that an EF-0 tornado, with wind speeds of 65 to 85 mph, touched down in north Fort Worth near U.S. 287 and Bonds Ranch Road and stayed on the ground for 6.5 miles until it reached the intersection of Texas 170 and Alta Vista Road.

It was the second confirmed tornado in northern Tarrant County. Another survey team confirmed Wednesday that a tornado touched down near Western Center Boulevard and stayed on the ground for 10.75 miles to the intersection of Farm Road 1709 and Shady Oaks Drive in Southlake. The storm’s path included damage along U.S. 377 on the border of Watauga and Keller. An EF-1 tornado, with wind speeds of 86 to 10 mph, was also confirmed in Lewisville.

A brand-new nursery is scheduled to open in Burleson on Saturday but it was walloped by the early-morning storms this week. Scott Peterson, the owner of Roots Garden Center, was in his greenhouse laying down plants about 2:15 a.m. Wednesday bwhen

James Hunter's mobile home was damaged when a tree fell on it as the storm passed through Mansfield

Bill Hanna: 817-390-7698, @fwhanna

Related stories from Fort Worth Star Telegram

  Comments