Masked man killed in shootout with police at federal building in Dallas

Man describes FBI search of suspected gunman’s apartment in Fort Worth

A man described the evacuation of his apartment when FBI and police searched the apartment of a man who is suspected of shooting at police in Dallas.
Up Next
A man described the evacuation of his apartment when FBI and police searched the apartment of a man who is suspected of shooting at police in Dallas.

An Army veteran wearing a mask and carrying more than 150 rounds of ammunition for his high-powered rifle was shot dead Monday after he opened fire outside the Earle Cabell Federal Building in downtown Dallas, authorities said.

The FBI identified the suspect as 22-year-old Brian Isaack Clyde. Neighbors said he lived at the Watermarke Apartments on Overton Ridge Boulevard in Fort Worth. They said they saw the FBI searching his apartment Monday afternoon.

Federal officers killed Clyde, an Army veteran, after he approached an entrance of the building and began shooting.

Clyde’s attack began about 8:40 a.m., and three officers from the Federal Protective Service who were stationed at the building confronted him. DeSarno and other officials praised their courage at a news conference.

“But for the actions for the Federal Protective Service officers, this likely would have been a very deadly incident,” DeSarno said.

Officials are still trying to determine a motive, but said there was nothing to indicate the presence of any other shooters or threats to the city, DeSarno said.

Officials at Del Mar College in Corpus Christi said Clyde graduated in May with an associate degree of applied science in nondestructive testing technology. The college says he was recognized as an outstanding student at a ceremony in April.

Watermarke resident Polete Buard said the FBI evacuated the apartments near Clyde’s at about 1 p.m.

“They were knocking on all the doors and telling everyone they had to evacuate. Didn’t really give a reason, but just to evacuate,” he said. “They came in and searched it and I guess they were looking for clues or whatever happened.”

Buard described Clyde as quiet.

“I guess a little different,” he said. “A little more secluded. Not real talkative, didn’t initiate speaking. More so head down, not really any eye contact at all.”

A bomb squad later examined a vehicle associated with the gunman as a precaution and performed controlled explosions, authorities said. Two loud blasts could be heard.

DeSarno said Clyde was discharged from the Army in 2017. He served as an infantryman from August 2015 to February 2017 and achieved the rank of private first class, according to the Army.

Police closed off several streets near the building, 1100 Commerce St., for several hours Monday morning as authorities investigated the shooting.

Police prepared to conduct a controlled explosion of a vehicle after a suspected shooter exchanged gunfire with officers near the Earle Cabell Federal building in Dallas, Texas on June 17. Video shows a bomb disposal robot approaching a vehicle.

Staff writers Domingo Ramirez and Kaley Johnson contributed to this report.
Related stories from Fort Worth Star Telegram