The Worth Theater at 312 W. Seventh St. celebrated its grand opening on Nov. 26, 1927. Built in conjunction with the Worth Hotel, its completion was delayed several weeks because of its elaborate Egyptian motif interior decor. Architects Alfred Charles Finn and Wyatt C. Hedrick designed the Worth Theater as a venue for motion pictures and weekly stage productions accommodating nearly 2,500 people. The theater boasted three projection machines, an “effects” machine, colored lights and a huge pipe organ.
Pictured here on March 26, 1964, the Fort Worth Fire Department employed a snorkel device mounted atop a firetruck to check the moorings of the sign mounted on the front of the building. Ultimately the development of theater multiplexes led to the decline of grand old movie palaces. The Worth closed in November 1971 and was demolished in 1972 for the expansion of the Fort Worth Club and a parking garage.
The University of Texas at Arlington Libraries offers a rich and diverse collection of materials on the history of Texas and the Southwest. Each week, readers get a glimpse of the past with an image from Special Collections. 817-272-3393; library.uta.edu/special-collections.