Swift & Co., one of the leading 19th-century U.S. meatpacking companies, operated a packinghouse in the Fort Worth Stockyards from March 1904 until 1971.
During World War II, the United States had a severe shortage of rubber after the Japanese took control of rubber-producing regions of Southeast Asia. To ensure that enough rubber was available for both military and civilian needs, tire rationing was imposed from Dec. 27, 1941, through Dec. 31, 1945. Use of new tires was restricted to vehicles operating for public health and safety, essential trucking and public transit. In 1942, a nationwide rubber drive encouraged Americans to donate surplus rubber items including tires, shoes, raincoats, hot water bottles and floor mats to the war effort.
In support of rubber conservation, Swift salesmen parked their cars and picked up bicycles. Pictured here on March 9, 1942 are, from left, M.L. Angle, W.L. King, J.C. Hawkins, Don Willoughby, J.T. Montgomery, L.D. Marcellus, Robert Drusch, J.E. Jennings and W.W. McAfee.
The University of Texas at Arlington Libraries offers a rich and diverse collection of materials on the history of Texas and the Southwest. Each week in Time Frames, readers get a glimpse of the past with an image from Special Collections. 817-272-3393; library.uta.edu/special-collections.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.