Page for slain Arlington fitness coach raises $11,175 in 14 hours

Memorial at Walgreen's for slain Arlington gym owner

Anthony Antell Jr. was killed as he confronted gunman Monday.
Up Next
Anthony Antell Jr. was killed as he confronted gunman Monday.

A GoFundMe page for an Arlington fitness coach slain Monday outside a Walgreens store had already raised $11,175 in 14 hours by Tuesday afternoon.

Anthony Lee Antell Jr., 35, got a handgun from his car after he saw a gunman fire at a woman outside the store, tried to stop the gunman from driving away and was fatally shot, police said.

The suspect, Pvt. Ricci Chambles Bradden, 22, of Dallas, turned himself in a few hours later in Hill County after being advised to do so by his Army superiors at Fort Hood.

Bradden told the Army officers that as he ran to his truck after shooting at his wife’s feet, a man appeared with a gun and told Bradden to drop his, Arlington police said.

Bradden said he slapped the stranger’s gun out of his hands and then shot him, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

Antell, 35, was pronounced dead at 11:49 a.m. in the parking lot of the store at 5600 New York Ave. near Southeast Green Oaks Boulevard, the Tarrant County medical examiner’s office reported Monday night.

Anthony Lee Antell Jr., 35, was fatally shot Monday, May 2, 2016, after confronting Pvt. Ricci Chambles Bradden, 22, of Dallas outside an Arlington Walgreens. (Video by Ryan Osborne)

Antell’s wife saw the shooting, Star-Telegram media partner WFAA reported.

The GoFundMe page ( for Antell says he was owner and head coach of CrossFit Abbatoir in Arlington, and that the couple had three children.

Shot in ankle

According to a news release from Arlington police, the first 911 call was received at 11:50 a.m.

Bradden’s wife, a Walgreens employee, told investigators that she was surprised to see her husband show up at the store because he was supposed to be at Fort Hood.

The wife said she and Bradden walked outside to talk, and Bradden became very angry and shot close to her feet. Bradden shot a second time and hit her in the “ankle area,” the arrest warrant affidavit said. She ran into the store and “yelled for help.”

She was taken to Medical Center of Arlington, where a homicide sergeant interviewed her. Her wound is not life-threatening, police said.

An executive officer in Bradden’s Army unit told police he and two Army supervisors talked to Bradden on the phone about 12:20 p.m. Bradden said he was driving south on Interstate 35E near Waxahachie.

Bradden told the officers that he shot at his wife’s feet and then at a man who told him to drop his gun, the warrant affidavit said.

The Army supervisors told Bradden to turn himself in. Bradden is an active-duty soldier assigned to the 69th Air Defense Artillery Brigade at Fort Hood, Fort Hood spokesman Chris Grey said. According to the Army, he is a petroleum supply specialist who entered the Army on July 21, 2015. He arrived at Fort Hood on Jan. 3, 2016.

A family member took Bradden to the Texas Department of Public Safety in Hill County, Arlington police said.

Bradden was in the Hill County Jail on Monday night with bail set at $500,000. He faces a murder charge.

Ryan Osborne: 817-390-7684, @RyanOsborneFWST

Monica S. Nagy: 817-390-7792, @MonicaNagyFWST

Related stories from Fort Worth Star Telegram