Children all over the world love a good story.
And now they can enjoy one at the Arlington Public Library, which has a new series of story times offered in international languages.
The new story times are provided in Vietnamese, Arabic, French, Portuguese, Japanese and Chinese. They are in addition to programs already given in English and Spanish.
“Reading to preschool-aged children promotes early literacy and helps to build strong family relationships,” Librarian Dawn Reyes said. “By offering story time in the city’s eight most-commonly spoken languages, the Arlington Public Library aims to inspire our community’s children to explore world cultures through the pages of books.”
The stories are geared for preschool-aged children but the whole family is welcome to attend. Young learners will enjoy a unique story time with a native speaker and learn a little about their culture. No registration is required.
World language story times are offered at the following dates, times, and locations:
▪ Japanese: April 16, May 14, June 11, July 9, Aug. 13, 4:30 p.m., George W. Hawkes Downtown Library
▪ French: April 16, May 14, June 11, July 9, Aug. 13, 5 p.m., Southeast Branch
▪ Chinese: April 11, May 9, June 13, July 11, Aug. 8, 5 p.m., East Arlington Branch
▪ Portuguese: April 25, May 23, June 27, July 25, Aug. 22, 4:30 p.m., Southwest Branch
▪ Arabic: April 16, May 28, June 25, July 23, Aug. 20, 4:30 p.m., East Arlington Branch
▪ Vietnamese: April 27, May 25, June 22, July 27, August 24, 3 p.m., Southeast Branch