Local

Cleburne man dies in early morning house fire

A 53-year-old disabled man was found dead after Cleburne firefighters extinguished a residential fire early Tuesday.

He was identified as Steve Doty. His sister, Kay Doty, 73, who also lived there, told firefighters that her brother was trapped inside and couldn’t walk.

Firefighters arrived at the residence in the 500 block of Madison Street about 7:15 a.m. and saw heavy smoke and flames coming from the building, Cleburne police said in a news release.

Emergency responders found Steve Doty in his bedroom.

Evidence indicates that the fire started in his bedroom and was caused by smoking in bed, according to the news release.

The home sustained considerable damage, Cleburne Fire Chief Clint Ishmael said.

  Comments