Arlington

Update: 30 pets killed in Grand Prairie house fire Monday night

Thirty animals were killed in a house fire Monday night in Grand Prairie and a woman was hospitalized after trying to save them, according to the Grand Prairie Fire Department.

Firefighters responded to the home in the 500 block of Northeast Fourth Street about 7 p.m. and found heavy flames coming from the front of the house, said Assistant Chief Bill Murphy. A man in the yard told firefighters that his wife went back inside for the animals.

Firefighters went into the back of the house and helped the woman out. She was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation and minor burns in stable condition, Murphy said.

Fourteen dogs, 14 birds and two cats died in the fire, Murphy said. Six dogs were saved.

Murphy said the woman works at a veterinarian’s office and she often took unwanted animals that needed rehabilitation and wasn’t able to find homes for them.

Investigators believe an electrical socket with two vacuum cleaners plugged into it may have sparked the blaze, Murphy said.

Mark David Smith: 817-390-7808, @MarkSmith_FWST

  Comments