With thousands of workers, the bomber plant on the westside of Fort Worth has been making military aircraft for decades.
On April 17, 1942, the first Consolidated Aircraft Corp. B-24 Liberator made at the plant took off and flew over Fort Worth.
This throwback photo shows the B-24 assembly line as workers put together several aircraft at one time. The B-24 Liberator was a bomber plane used primarily over Germany during World War II.
At the time, the plane employed 2,500 workers, many who lived in “Liberator Village,” a small community of government-built apartments near the plant. The plant produced 2,743 B-24s during the 1940s.