Sky Talk

Average domestic airfares dropped 6.2 percent in the third quarter

Star-Telegram

Average airfares nationwide continue to drop, according to a government report released on Tuesday.

The Bureau of Transportation Statistics said the average domestic airfare decreased 6.2 percent to $372 in the third quarter. It was the lowest level since 2010 when adjusted for inflation.

Of the top 12 busiest airports in the U.S., Denver International Airport had the cheapest average airfare of $324 while Newark-Liberty International Airport had the most expensive average of $479. Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport ranked sixth with an average airfare of $364 for the quarter.

The report indicated that U.S. airlines collected 75 percent of their total revenue from passenger fares during the third quarter. The other 25 percent is generated from ancillary revenues including baggage fees and reservation change fees.

Rank

Origin

3rd Quarter 2015 ($)

3rd Quarter 2015 Originating Passengers

1

Denver, CO

324

7840200

2

Chicago O'Hare, IL

342

8039070

3

Phoenix, AZ

342

5451590

4

New York LaGuardia, NY

357

6275020

5

Seattle/Tacoma, WA

361

6519040

6

Dallas-Fort Worth, TX

364

6444950

7

Boston, MA

365

7738750

8

Atlanta, GA

382

7172690

9

Los Angeles, CA

389

10317650

10

San Francisco, CA

424

7257970

11

New York JFK, NY

431

6703530

12

Newark-Liberty, NJ

479

5599640

12-Airport Average

380

7113342

Source: Bureau of Transportation Statistics

  Comments