When Dallas and Fort Worth couldn’t agree on building a joint airport to serve both cities, Fort Worth decided to build it’s own.
The Greater Southwest International Airport (also called Amon Carter Field) opened in 1953 and cost $11 million to build. This postcard shows the passenger loading apron with Convair aircraft owned by American Airlines and Braniff International Airways waiting on the tarmac.
The airport closed about twenty years later in 1974 to make way for Dallas/Fort Worth Airport.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Star-Telegram