Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee and cornerback Orlando Scandrick restructured their contracts to clear more than $8.5 million in cap space — $3.75 million from Scandrick and $4.75 million from Lee.
The reworked deals convert base salary into bonuses that can be stretched over the length of the contract.
The Cowboys are still roughly $10 million over the cap and have until March 11 to get under it.
Party Pass tickets
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Star-Telegram
Dallas Cowboys standing room only Party Pass season tickets for 10 preseason and regular season games at AT&T Stadium are on sale for $199. They’re available at www.dallascowboys.com/partypass or by calling 817-892-4400. Party pass tickets do not provide a seat, but allow fans to move about the decks and open spaces in the main concourses.
• 49ers: Quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who has a base salary of $973,766 for 2014, is seeking a new deal that would average $18 million a season, according to the Boston Globe. ... Receiver Anquan Boldin agreed to a two-year, $12 million contract with $9 million guaranteed.
• Tags: Franchise tags were used on Saints tight end Jimmy Graham ($7.05 million), Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy ($13.1 million), Redskins linebacker Brian Orakpo ($11.5 million) and Jets kicker Nick Folk ($3.56 million). Transition tags were put on Browns center Alex Mack ($10.04 million) and Steelers linebacker Jason Worilds ($9.75 million).
• Extra point: The NFL is in early discussions that could result in extra-point attempts being moved back from the 2-yard line to the 25-yard line for the 2014 preseason. That would make the actual kick a 43-yard attempt instead of a 20-yard try.
• Dolphins: Pro Bowl cornerback Brent Grimes signed a four-year, $32 million deal that includes $16 million in guarantees.
• Broncos: Quarterback Peyton Manning, who has had four neck procedures, passed the physical exam required by his contract that pays him $20 million next season.
• Titans: Safety Bernard Pollard was re-signed to a two-year contract.