Tablet Local

Haltom High students accidentally started fire, officials said

Two students were taken to a hospital with minor injuries Tuesday afternoon after theater students accidentally started a small fire in the Haltom High School auditorium, a district spokesman said.

The students tried to burn through a tangled rope with a lighter, said Mark Thomas, a spokesman for the Birdville school district. The tangled rope subsequently ignited a mop, which created a lot of smoke, he said. The students were in the high school auditorium stairwell.

Classes were over for the day.

MedStar transported two students to local hospitals with minor smoke inhalation, and one was treated and released at the scene, according to MedStar spokesman Matt Zavadsky.

It was an accident, and none of the students is in trouble, Thomas said.

The school is located at 5501 North Haltom Road.

  Comments