A seventh person was arrested Friday in Lubbock in connection with the robbery and fatal shooting of a man found dead last month outside his wrecked truck.
Victor Nerio, 20, was arrested by members of a U.S. Marshal’s task force on a capital murder warrant Friday morning. He is being held in the Lubbock County Jail with bail set at $500,000.
On Wednesday, fugitive officers arrested Nelson Melgar, 18; Anthony Lee Young Jr., 22; Andres Barragan-Rodriguez, 18; Matthew Alexander Diaz, 20, and two 15-year-old boys, who are not being identified because they are juveniles.
Homicide Sgt. Joe Loughman said the suspects, all of Fort Worth, had been among several people attending a block party in the 3200 block of Grayson Street in the early morning hours of Sept. 21 when the victim, 35-year-old Jorge Aguilar, attempted to drive down the street.
“Words were exchanged between the victim and some of the actors in reference to a road being blocked,” Loughman said.
Loughman said Aguilar had “accelerated quickly” onto Wichita Street when he lost control of his truck. Investigators believe the truck struck a curb, snapping off the driver side rear wheel.
After the wreck, the suspects allegedly converged on Aguilar, assaulting and robbing the man and ultimately shooting him multiple times.
“The victim was able to shoot one of his assailants with a weapon that he possessed,” Loughman said.
Police believe the slaying occurred between 3 and 4 a.m.
A passerby noticed Aguilar’s body in the field off Wichita about 7 a.m. and called police.
Loughman said Diaz, the suspect who suffered a gunshot wound in the attack, was taken by private vehicle to a local hospital where he was later located by investigators. A second suspect was also hospitalized and located by police after he was injured in an unrelated hit-and-run wreck that same morning.
“After interviewing those two, it was countless hours of interviews and interrogations that brought the case together,” Loughman said.
The four men arrested in Fort Worth remained in the Mansfield jail Friday; each held in lieu of $500,000 bail. The 15-year-old boys were handed over to juvenile authorities.